Betfair Trading Community Premier League Power Ratings
I don't know about anyone else but I am getting really excited about the new football season, with only a couple of weeks until the football league fixtures start in England, there is not long to wait!
We have ranked the EPL clubs based on their activity and where we believe they currently stand in relation to each other, if you disagree or agree let us know! This should help us trade the teams and matches as we have a good idea of where each club is at. We will do an update on this before the kick off of the Premier League but with only 3 weeks left we can start to look at which teams are rising and falling in terms of their quality according to us.
So without further ado lets go!
1. Manchester City - Last season finish (1) - Not a difficult choice for the Number 1 spot, ran away with the title last season and have kept the team together. Continuity is not a bad thing when you are this good but the signing of Mahrez does add a little extra to that scary forward line.
2. Liverpool - Last season finish (4) - I'm not sure that Liverpool will finish 2nd this season but I do not doubt that they have the best team of the rest of the league. The Champions League became a distraction in the league last season but I get the feeling they will be more focused on the league this year. Keita and Allison are massive signings for the club and the loss of Emre Can has pretty much gone unnoticed as a result.
3. Manchester United - Last season finish (2) - Expect Utd to make a big signing in the coming weeks as their window spending has been uninspiring at best. Fred will add some solidity to an already solid midfield but the creative spark may still be lacking.
4. Tottenham Hotspur - Last season finish (3) - If any club has defined team stability over the last few years it is Spurs, no major signings but more importantly no major departures means they could hang onto 4th but they need to watch Chelsea and Arsenal who are making big changes to try and challenge them this year.
5. Arsenal - Last season finish (6) - I really like their transfers so far this offseason. Lichtsteiner is a quality aging full back who can get assists and goals. Leno is a highly rated keeper who fills a whole Cech has created the past couple of seasons. Papastathopoulos and Torreira are highly rated talents who could fulfill their promise this season. Unai Emery is a solid manager and if he can settle the team enough they could be much improved from last season.
6. Chelsea - Last season finish (5) - Sarri could be the new Guardiola in the Premier League but it takes time to bed that style of play (as Guardiola found out in his first season at Man City). It will be exciting to watch Chelsea play attractive football for a change and Jorginho is a quality signing but they need a bit more. If Hazard leaves then they definitely need to sign more quality players to challenge for top 4.
7. West Ham - Last season finish (13) - West Ham have made a statement this offseason and surely even their ever moaning fans have to admit that the board have done well. The Hammers managaed a 13th place finish despite having Moyes as manager and the most hostile home atomsphere imaginable for a home team. Diop, Wilshere, Yarmelenko and Anderson are all big upgrades on the current team so why cant they move up a few places? Pellegrini did a brilliant job with Man City winning a title and is a manager I rate.
8. Everton - Last season finish (8) - For me Rooney is a slight loss to the club but with no other significant departures they should maintain what was an impressive season in the end last season. Their signings last season seem to have settled in more and they could reap those rewards this season. Marco Silva clearly has talent as a coach.
9. Leicester - Last season finish (9) - Mahrez is a big loss and would usually lead to a fall but signing Norwich wonderkid James Maddison for a bargain price (around £20million) was a steal, he would have cost double that if he played for one of the lower Premier League clubs. Pereira and Evans are definite defensive improvements.
10. Crystal Palace - Last season finish (11) - This team can really kick on if they make a couple of signing in the next few weeks but as it is I see them maintaining a mid-table finish. Wilfried Zaha is the best player not playing in the top 6 in my opinion but Cabaye leaving is a slight loss.
11. Wolverhampton Wanderers - Last season (18 Won Champ) - I'm not quite a believer that they will walk into a top 7 finish the way the market is but I do think they will be very safe this season. They have made a few nice signings to confirm this but nothing that has blown me away the way people thought they might. Still plenty of time for more signings though.
12 - Newcastle United - Last season (10) - Mike Ashley continues to do nothing to help Rafa again this offseason, Benitez will be expected to perform miracles again but a top half finish may not be possible. They will be safe but it won't be the return to the glory days of the mid 90's the fans will want.
13 - Watford - Last season (14) - A club that always seem to do good transfer business and never seem to be in danger of relegation. Their manager turnover is unconventional but their is no doubting how well it has worked. Deulofeu is a great signing and a few other hidden gems have been picked up.
14 - Bournemouth - Last season (12) - It is always a concern when a club does not make any key signings in the summer window, especially when 12 squad players are released. Expect some moves in the next few weeks to help move them up the rankings. Eddie Howe is a great manager and has a great set up here.
15 - Burnley - Last season (7) - If any team is due a regression it is Burnley, they had a great season last season but you have to think that Europe and heightened expectations will play against them this season. A solid side though who will be safe enough.
16 - Southampton - Last season (17) - I am still a little concerned for Saints this year, Hughes is such a hit and miss manager and took a solid Stoke team to the point of no return last season. Dusan Tadic leaving is a strange one, their best player in my opinion. They should be fine but a couple more key signings would not hurt.
17 - Fulham - Last season (20 Won Champ Playoffs) - Keeping Sessegnon and signing Mitrovic will be key to survival. Seri and Marchand from Nice could be great signings and I think their momentum from last year keeps them up this season.
18 - Brighton & Hove Albion - Last season (15) - Second season syndrome could strike again with Chris Houghton. Brighton did well to stay up last term but I am not sure they have enough quality to do so again.
19 - Huddersfield Town- Last season (16) - Had a terrible finish to the season after a fast start last year. They have made some nice signings like Kongolo and Durm but I am not sure it will be enough.
20 - Cardiff City - Last season (19 2nd in Champ) - Not loving the signings this season. Josh Murphy will not light up the league and 4 Championship signings does not strike me as great ambition to stay up. At least they have kept the squad together from last season.